automake

Re: symlinked files break "dist"-target

From: Felix Natter
Subject: Re: symlinked files break "dist"-target
Date: 05 May 2001 12:48:30 +0200

Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> writes:

> On May  2, 2001, Felix Natter <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > I have some source-files which are shared between some autoconf/automake-
> > projects. So I use symlinks in my projects.
>
> > But using automake, this breaks the dist-target ("make dist").
>
> I can't see why symlinks would break `make dist'.  What is the symptom?

I created a minimal "hello-world"-package for this:
http://www.ndh.net/home/natter/hello-1.0.tar.gz

the problem does not occur if the symlink simply points to a directory one
level up:
"hello.c -> ../hello.c" works, but
"hello.c -> ../util/hello.c" does not.

untar this, move hello.c to ../util and create a symlink for it:
$ cd /tmp
$ tar -xzf hello-1.0.tar.gz
$ cd hello-1.0
$ mkdir /tmp/util
$ mv hello.c ../util
$ ln -s ../util/hello.c
$ ./configure
$ make dist

Furthermore, the dist-target usually uses gtar, although I only
have /bin/tar. Is there a way to detect $(TAR) ?

thanks,

--
Felix Natter