automake

Re: My patches

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: My patches
Date: 23 Mar 2001 19:35:36 -0800

Akim Demaille <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a question: what is the version of Perl we can require.  There
> are feature implemented in 5.6 that I would like to use, but is it
> acceptable?

I know Tom already answered this, but just to add a bit more information,
5.6.0 wasn't particularly stable.  It had a few bugs that weren't *huge*,
but which were more than I was comfortable with.  A lot of us are waiting
for 5.6.1.

> More specifically I'm using Class::Struct which was significantly
> improved since 5.005, but its only requirement is:

>                 use 5.005_64;

> so we can use it with Perl 5.5, provided that we distribute it

Er, 5.005_64 is one of the 5.6.0 pre-releases.  That's not Perl 5.005;
that's equivalent to requiring 5.6.0 for most people.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>