automake

Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: `missing' needs patch for Ultrix4.4
Date: 19 Mar 2001 12:24:35 +0100

Jim> | prog=$1 | shift | "$prog" "$@"

Jim> His suggested change didn't have double quotes around $prog.
Jim> Besides, if you do use double quotes around it, as you've
Jim> written, above, then Ultrix4.4's /bin/sh fails in exactly the
Jim> same way as if you'd used "$@".

Can it be again one of these problems related to the 8th bit?

Still, there is one important question raised by your patch: does it
work properly when passed `bison -y' as $1? (Actually, I don't know if
the invocation makes `bison -y' be $1, or if `bison' and `-y' are
already split.  If the latter, then fine, we have found a workaround.

Still, I wonder to what extend what you found means we should change
all the place where we invoke `"$@"' as command line.  The only
restriction is wrt $1 being `:'?