automake

Re: Understanding objc.test

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Understanding objc.test
Date: 16 Mar 2001 10:24:55 +0100

tailbert> hi akim link is defined because

tailbert> .m.o:

tailbert> causes a trigger in finish_languages

Thanks, I know this.  My question is more whether this is really what
should happen.  I fail to understand why if the user overrides a
suffix rule which automake would have output anyway, that should
trigger LINK.

My patch removes all the explicit push @suffixes from automake, and
let automake discover them in the *.am files, just like in
Makefile.am.  Suffix rules are now handled all the same way.  So I had
to change:

    # If the project is entirely C++ or entirely Fortran 77, don't
    # bother with the C stuff.  But if anything else creeps in, then use
    # it.
    if ($need_link || ! $non_c || scalar keys %suffix_rules > 0)

into

    if ($need_link || ! $non_c || scalar keys %suffix_rules > 1)

(the 1 at the end) which is much more logical and consistent: the
question is whether there is a non pure language, or more than one
source suffix defined.

Therefore with my patch automake fails this test, and my opinion is
that the test is wrong.

But that's only MHO, so I'd like to have some less HO's from other people :)