automake

Re: 12-true-and-false.patch

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: 12-true-and-false.patch
Date: 08 Mar 2001 22:27:20 -0700

Akim>   * automake.in (read_am_file): TRUE and FALSE are predefined
Akim>   conditionals.
Akim>   (&by_condition): Adjust.
Akim>   (&conditional_string): Recognize (TRUE|FALSE)_(TRUE|FALSE).
Akim>   (&make_condition): Use it.
Akim>   * tests/cond9.test: s/FALSE/WRONG/.

I don't really like the use of TRUE and FALSE, but it's hard to
conceive of a scenario where a user would want to redefine them.  The
reason I don't like them is that I want the future of automake to be
more sensitive to namespace issues.  For instance one reason I like
the work you're doing on "target merging" is that it makes it easier
to rename internal targets following the new namespace rules.

Is there any way to prohibit the user from doing:

AM_CONDITIONAL(TRUE, blah)

?

If they try this it won't work but will instead be gratuitously
confusing.

This patch is ok, but please add some text to the manual indicating
the predefined TRUE and FALSE conditions (and maybe mention that one
might want to use them for debugging), and also mention that
redefining these won't work.

Tom