automake

Re: Automating builds of multiple packages

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Automating builds of multiple packages
Date: 03 Mar 2001 15:22:31 -0700

>>>>> "Arjan" == Arjan J Molenaar <address@hidden> writes:

Arjan> Imagine this: I want to build the gnome-libs from
Arjan> source. Therefore I need GLib, GTK+, Pango and a few other
Arjan> packages already build and installed. It would be nice
Arjan> (especially for developers) to make sure GLib is up to date,
Arjan> GTK+ is up to date, etc. before building gnome-libs (a "make"
Arjan> in gnome-libs/ would automatically check those packages).

Arjan> My question is: Is there support for this in
Arjan> AutoMake/conf/... or a separate tool, or need something like
Arjan> this to be build?

Sure, you can do this.  You would simply have the gnome-libs configure
script check to make sure the correct versions of the libraries it
requires are installed.

I imagine the gnome-libs configure script does this already.

Tom