automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] check: avoid extra recursive make invocatio

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] [ng] check: avoid extra recursive make invocations
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:34:02 +0200

On 07/30/2012 05:29 PM, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Le 30 juil. 2012 à 14:04, Stefano Lattarini a écrit :
>
>> After this change, "make check" will not cause any recursive make
>> invocation by default (unless there are $(SUBDIRS) to descend into, of
>> course).  One little price to pay is that the targets 'check-TESTS',
>> 'check-DEJAGNU' and 'check-local' will always be defined (being dummy
>> by default).  The other one is that the old semantics are not 100%
>> preserved, so corner cases that worked in mainline Automake might not
>> work anymore out-of-the-box with Automake-NG, thus requiring the user
>> to make his dependency declarations more complete or precises.
>> We believe these prices are well worth paying.
>
> Nice.
>
> Yet it would be nice to document the expected "corner cases"
> in NEWS.

Ah, but I'm not sure which these corner cases might actually be.  I just
suspect they might exist.  If somebody will ever stumble in one of them
and report it to us, then we will document it in NEWS (maybe with a
suggested workaround).  If nobody ever encounters such corner cases,
or find obvious and non-hacky workarounds and thus doesn't feel like
reporting them anyway -- well, all the best for us.  Agreed?

Thanks,
  Stefano