automake-ng

Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] contrib: drop 'multilib' support

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-NG] [FYI] contrib: drop 'multilib' support
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 17:09:39 +0200

On 07/03/2012 04:48 PM, Akim Demaille wrote:
> Ciao Stefano!
>
> The concept of "contrib/" in Automake is not very clearly defined.
> It is my understanding that we (package maintainers) must copy
> the snippets by hand

Yep, from either the Automake git repository or an Automake tarball.

> (so these contribs are installed?

Nope.

> Or are we expected to get a tar ball),

Yep.

> and upgrade them by hand too?

Yep.

The idea is that the features provided by 'contrib/' do not belong to the
Automake "core" proper, and should better be moved out to third-party
projects (e.g., an hypothetical Automake equivalent of the Autoconf macro
archive).  Until that point, they find a temporary shelter in 'contrib/'
-- but being guest there, they shouldn't expect too much niceties, like
installation ;-)

Regards,
  Stefano