automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?

From: Dave Hart
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:52:10 +0000

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 17:57, Stefano Lattarini
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Right now, in mainstream Automake, support for silent rules is optional
> and activated only if the 'silent-rules' option is specified.

Not so, but in a nitpicking way:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Automake-silent_002drules-Option.html#Automake-silent_002drules-Option
============
To enable the use of silent-rules in his package, a developer needs to
do either of the following:

Add the silent-rules option as argument to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.
Call the AM_SILENT_RULES macro from within the configure.ac file.

ntpd uses AM_SILENT_RULES rather than the silent-rules option to
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, so I was a bit confused when I could find no mention
of a silent-rules option in our *.ac and *.am sources.

On the meatier, original topic of whether Automake-NG should provide
the end user with silent rules capability in all cases, that's fine by
me.  There may be some maintainers who would prefer to force make V=0
to be equivalent to make V=1, but I'm not among them.

Cheers,
Dave Hart