autoconf

Re: New failures with autoconf master

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: New failures with autoconf master
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:36:53 -0400

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:25 AM Ross Burton <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I kicked off a world build in OpenEmbedded with autoconf master as of
> this morning.

Thanks for trying this!

> Of note is that Flex and Nasm are both failing in similar
> ways with autoconf post-2.69:

Could you please file issues in the Savannah bug tracker
(https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=additem&group=autoconf) for
this and any other problems you find? This will ensure that I don't
forget about them.

> nasm:
> checking for uintptr_t... yes
> ./configure: line 6400: syntax error near unexpected token `do'
> ./configure: line 6400: `do :'
[...]

I think the line number in the syntax error must be wrong; there's no
"do :" anywhere in the snippet you quoted.  I'll poke at this some
later today, but can you tell me where to download a tarball of the
exact same version of Nasm that you are testing?  I want to be sure
I'm looking at the same thing.

> The flex issue is worked around by picking this commit from flex git:
>
> https://github.com/westes/flex/commit/c42de062bbdc7c31d7181c10a74202d493280ada
>
> That refers to a mail sent to bug-autoconf in February 2018, with no reply:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-autoconf/2018-02/msg00005.html

Hm, I don't immediately see how we get from misbehavior in autoheader
with 'dnl' inside an AC_CHECK_THINGS([...]) list, to syntax errors in
configure.  Again, I'd like to poke at this some myself, can you tell
me where to get the exact version of flex that you are testing?

zw