autoconf

Re: No macro for C11/C18?

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: No macro for C11/C18?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 14:47:29 -0500

On 1/24/20, Christian Biesinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> I noticed that autoconf has a macro to enable C99 (AC_PROG_CC_C99),
> but apparently no such macro for C11 or C18. I was wondering if a
> patch for that would be acceptable in principle or if this is missing
> intentionally?

In autoconf master, the AC_PROG_CC_C99 macro is deprecated and no longer
recommended for use.

AC_PROG_CC now tries to select the highest language revision supported
by the compiler.

Unfortunately, the improved AC_PROG_CC has not yet made it into an
Autoconf release, primarily due to a lack of volunteers willing to
invest the time to help with the process.

(Autoconf does not detect C18, but note that other than incorporating
the C11 technical corrigenda into the standard document, C18 does not
really include any significant changes to the language so is probably
not too critical for a portability tool like Autoconf.)

Cheers,
  Nick