autoconf

Re: Making a path absolute portably

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Making a path absolute portably
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:41:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019, Eric Blake wrote:

It appears that $PWD is a shell extension, so I don't think so.

No, POSIX requires that $PWD always be accurate, so that part is portable.

Yet I tested it with a shell by doing a cd and the value produced did not change. Just because POSIX requires something does not mean that it is portable. Not all shells still in use are compliant with current POSIX specifications.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt