autoconf

Re: Trouble with variable substitution

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: Trouble with variable substitution
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:30:09 +0000

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:18, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 03:48:48PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 13:02, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > > On a further tangent, shouldn't something better be, set
> > > AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR,
> > > run libtoolize, then presumably use aclocal, however:
> > >
> > This is what happens with libtoolize on CVS HEAD currently, it copies
> > libtool.m4 (and other relevant files) into AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR for you.
>
> Yes, but then you need the aclocal which has gone out of fashion to look
> in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR and form an aclocal.m4 containing libtool.m4 and
> bits of ltsugar.m4. If one listens to "`aclocal' is expected to disappear.",
> then the option seems to be

aclocal 1.8 actually just puts "m4_include" lines in pointing to the
local copy, it doesn't place the content of them in there anymore.

I imagine the future is that Autoconf itself will start looking in
AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR (it's its macro, after all), rendering aclocal
obsolete, and that the current "copy and m4_include in aclocal.m4" is
just a stop-gap to get people moving in the right direction.

No idea what the Autoconf or Automake guys are *really* thinking though
:p

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?