australia-public-discuss

[Australia-public-discuss] Video of Ben's talk from Australian patent of

From: Ben Sturmfels
Subject: [Australia-public-discuss] Video of Ben's talk from Australian patent office forum
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:31:25 +1000

Hi Folks,

Back in May, I spoke at a forum in Sydney held by the Australian patent office, IP Australia. The topic of the forum was "Patents and software development - the good, the bad and somewhere in the middle". The video took a while to come out, by which time I'd forgotten to post it to this list. Here it is:

http://www.sturm.com.au/2012/talks/ip-australia-forum/ben-sturmfels-patents-on-software.webm

The speakers at the forum were Ric Richardson (Founder of Uniloc), myself and Philip Spann (Deputy Commissioner of Patents, IP Australia).

The audience was mostly patent attorneys, so as you would expect, rather pro-software patents. I'm disappointed that the panel question and answer video wasn't published. I ended up taking most of the questions for about 45 mins and the discussion was quite animated!

All three talks are available on YouTube in WebM format. Just make sure you've chosen the HTML 5 option to get WebM:

http://www.youtube.com/html5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAc1mNDa4gQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzg-h9hXn_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30R1uVeP6X0

Transcripts are available here:

http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media/transcripts/

Journalists from Computerworld and iTnews attended and wrote articles which verbatim quoted several of my points. The event was also mentioned in a rather strangely worded Slashdot post:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/424871/do_software_patents_stifle_innovation_/
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/301411,ip-australia-debates-software-patents.aspx
http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/05/19/1518200/software-patents-good-for-open-source

All in all, it was an excellent opportunity to practise speaking about patents to a non-computing audience.

Regards,
Ben