australia-public-discuss

Re: [Australia-public-discuss] Video/audio from patents talk and committ

From: Adam Bolte
Subject: Re: [Australia-public-discuss] Video/audio from patents talk and committee hearing
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:58:18 +1100

> But going down the free vs proprietary route is quite different. And I
> would say a potentially huge distraction.  What exactly does free mean
> anyway...  Please leave it off the agenda.

With Software Patents, you have proponents who make proprietary software, and
you have opponents that make proprietary software and free software.

With Free Software Patents, you don't have any proponents from any business or
company that focuses on free software. Right? Am I wrong?

So the way I see it, the big opposition is going to have a much harder time
arguing for free software patents - frequently written by individuals - not
businesses, who often have no funds to defend themselves, and are generally
unable to make use of the patent system anyway!

It's as if I write a recipe book, and donate it to the public library for all
to use and make use of as they best see fit. Then some corporation comes along
and demands the book be burnt, and the author pay a large sum in compensation
because the steps for a recipe in that book are similar to what someone else
came up with in a book they probably never published.

It's such a clear case of hurting the public ('against the public interest'),
that I just can't see how you'd have such a hard time winning if the focus was
narrowed to this initially.

Possibly you could even argue both cases at the same time. Software patents
are incredibly bad and hurt the industry and thus also the customers who rely
on these companies, but software patents on free software just hurts everyone.

In the US, I think DMCA initially didn't have many exceptions, but then they
got one for jailbreaking mobile phones. Then they're trying to spread that
exception to other areas because it's easy to make analogies. I know DMCA
isn't the same as patents, but my point is that getting software patents
excluded from some areas could be a foot in the door to help eliminate it
everywhere else.

So for me, the distraction appears (to my also non-expert opinion) to be that
we are focusing on the bigger long-term battle and ignoring/sacrificing the
easy win that will make a lot of people happy.

Adam