australia-public-discuss

Re: [free-software-melb] [Australia-public-discuss] Need examples of inn

From: Patrick Sunter
Subject: Re: [free-software-melb] [Australia-public-discuss] Need examples of innovative Australian software
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:32:28 +1000

Great thread guys.

Having just joined the Melb list I'm not really up with the
anti-patents campaign, will have to do some reading up on it.

An interesting Australian software development story I have a small
personal connection to (worked an an intern there late 90s) is what
was VET anti-virus, that is now sold under CA's global brand after a
buy-out. For a while VET did very well internationally in terms of
anti-virus quality while Au-developed, I'm not sure about the CA
product these days.

It started out as shareware in 1989, though not sure if it was ever
open source. A brief history is at:
http://www.cybec.com.au/Vet.htm

cheers, Patrick.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Andrew Pam <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ben Sturmfels wrote:
>> I'm looking for examples of innovative Australian software (developed
>> without patents), preferably earlier than 1992. The earlier the better.
>
> Most obviously, Eric A. Young and Tim J. Hudson's SSLeay (the basis for
> the globally fundamental OpenSSL), developed in Australia specifically
> because the RSA patents weren't effective in this country.
>
> Andrew

Patrick Sunter

VPAC Senior Computational Software Developer - AuScope Monash SAM Project
Monash University Adjunct Research Associate (School of Mathematical Sciences)

Room 301, Building 28
Monash University VIC 3800
Australia

Ph: +61 (0)3 9905 4468