auctex-devel

Value of `TeX-global-input-files'

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Value of `TeX-global-input-files'
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 12:32:59 +0200

Hi all,

I found that `TeX-global-input-files' can have different values based on
which macro is used first in a document.  If I do

    C-m C-c usepackage RET

first, the variable holds all available .sty files.  If I reset the
variable with `C-u C-c C-n' and do

    C-m C-c input RET

it holds all available input files.  The way I see it both
`LaTeX-arg-usepackage-read-packages-with-options' and
`TeX-arg-input-file' check if `TeX-global-input-files' is set and if
nil, they set it with

    (TeX-search-files-by-type 'texinputs 'global t t)

But `LaTeX-arg-usepackage-read-packages-with-options' let-binds
`TeX-file-extensions' to '("sty") and which is relevant for
TeX-search-files-by-type and ultimately for TeX-search-files-type-alist.

Hence, if `LaTeX-arg-usepackage-read-packages-with-options' comes first,
`TeX-global-input-files' holds only available LaTeX packages and
`TeX-arg-input-file' will never update it.  They way around you get a
lot of files for completion which aren't packages.

Am I missing something here?  My suggestion would be to introduce a
variable `LaTeX-global-package-files' (like LaTeX-global-class-files)
and set that in `LaTeX-arg-usepackage-read-packages-with-options' once
there.

Any comments welcome.

Best, Arash