auctex-devel

Compiler warnings for latexinfo.el

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Compiler warnings for latexinfo.el
Date: Sat, 01 May 2021 23:44:53 +0200

Hi all,

building AUCTeX currently throws the folloing warnings for latexinfo.el:

In end of data:
style/latexinfo.el:45:35: Warning: the function `makke:latexinfo-structure' is
    not known to be defined.
style/latexinfo.el:43:35: Warning: the function
    `makke:latexinfo-delete-structure' is not known to be defined.
style/latexinfo.el:42:38: Warning: the function `latexinfo-show-structure' is
    not known to be defined.
style/latexinfo.el:41:38: Warning: the function `latexinfo-format-region' is
    not known to be defined.
style/latexinfo.el:40:38: Warning: the function `latexinfo-format-buffer' is
    not known to be defined.

I found the following information about latexinfo[1]:

    A LaTeX 2.09 extension of texinfo, together with Emacs 18 elisp
    support files (``manual generator'' commands).

    While the package showed some promise, it hasn't been followed up to
    current LaTeX or current Emacs.

We can silence the warnings bei declare'ing the functions, but the
question is: Should we keep the style or delete it?  My suggestion would
be to delete the file since latexinfo isn't used and texinfo is still
alive.  WDYT?  (I still don't know where those `makke:*' functions are
defined).

Best, Arash

Footnotes:
[1]  https://ctan.org/pkg/latexinfo?lang=en