[aspell-devel] Personal list overriding master list

From: Andrew Chew
Subject: [aspell-devel] Personal list overriding master list
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:33:42 -0800

I'm using aspell-0.60.6, installed via macports.  I have a command-line app
developed under xcode 3.2.  I don't think any of this matters, other than the
aspell version.

Anyway, my app checks spelling against the master en-US dictionary, as well as
a personal whitelist, formatted as per the aspell documentation (single-line
header followed by a newline-separated list of words).  This personal whitelist
is not dynamically populated by aspell...it's done manually.

Here's what I think the relevant call sequence is:

AspellConfig* theConfig = NULL;
AspellSpeller* theSpeller = NULL;
AspellCanHaveError* possibleErr;

theConfig = new_aspell_config();

aspell_config_replace(theConfig, "lang", "en_US");
aspell_config_replace(theConfig, "personal",
"SomeAbsolutePathToMyWhitelistFile");

possibleErr = new_aspell_speller(theConfig);
if (aspell_error_number(possibleErr) != 0)
{
        puts(aspell_error_message(possibleErr));
        goto fail;
}

theSpeller = to_aspell_speller(possibleErr);

Now, if I do this, it doesn't appear that aspell is looking at the master
dictionary, though I believe it does look at my personal whitelist.  However,
if I remove the line:

aspell_config_replace(theConfig, "personal",
"SomeAbsolutePathToMyWhitelistFile");

then the master dictionary is used, but of course not my personal whitelist.

This is driving me crazy.  I can't seem to figure out how to use both.  Can
someone point out what I'm doing wrong?