Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell and advanced dictionaries

From: Lars Aronsson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell and advanced dictionaries
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:47:14 +0100 (CET)

Christoph Hintermüller wrote:
> Afaik the ispell like affixes are allready on the todolist or might be

Yes, I saw this, and I think it is great.  I just wanted to add my
hopes that the definition goes beyond ispell.

In my attempts to create a better Swedish aspell dictionary, I have
switched to an annotated ispell format for my source, and generate
the aspell format by filtering away the comments and piping the
results through "ispell -e" (I think -e is for expand).  According to
the GPL section 3 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html), "The source
code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making
modifications to it", and this is the format that I prefer for editing
my dictionary.

>From my Makefile:

.SUFFIXES: .txt .aspell
.txt.aspell:
        sed 's/[        ]*#.*//' $<|ispell -e|tr ' ' '\n'|sort -u >$@

A dictionary for a new language, and its format, is a treasure that
can be developed independent of the actual spell checking software.

--
  Lars Aronsson (address@hidden)
  tel +46-70-7891609