Re: [aspell-devel] Re: pspell/aspell on Windows

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Re: pspell/aspell on Windows
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:11:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 04:34 PM 07/03/02 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> >> Maybe I should try linking with the CVS New Aspell?
> >
> >Yes, that would be a good idea.
>
> Kevin,
>
> You say at http://aspell.sourceforge.net/new-aspell.txt
>
>   "A compromise has been made in terms of portability and advanced C++
>   usage.  Templates, the Standard Template Library, and namespaces are
>   now used freely however C++ exceptions are not."
>
> The issue I have been debugging seem directly related to exceptions (aspell
> throws a file not found exception and then the exception is not caught.),
> so this might really solve my problem if that's true.

Yes it is true.  I have found C++ exceptions to be more trouble then they
are worth.

> I sure would have liked to found that bug -- I installed all new system
> libraries from source, new gcc and gdb and still couldn't get a good trace
> into the exception, but it was pushing my debugging skills.  Maybe I needed
> to use
> "libtool gdb" mentioned in README-CVS.

That might help.

Debugging exceptions is a royal pain in the but because
once an exception is thrown the stack gets unwound and it is imposable
to tell where the exception is thrown.  Gdb has features which will allow
you to catch an exception before it is thrown.  Have a look at the
gdb manual.

> You mention in the README-CVS there's a compatibility header file.  I
> didn't see this in a quick look at the cvs-web.  I suppose I'd be better
> off just creating a new Text::Aspell perl module and use the new interface
> following the  aspell0.c example.

See interfaces/cc/pspell.h.
Also keep in mind that a good deal of source files are generated.  So you
really need to checkout a CVS copy and run autogen to see everything.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org