arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] A couple of questions

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] A couple of questions
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 02:18:31 -0700 (PDT)

Alessandro Bottoni <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Arx-ivers.
> I'm just beginning with Arx and I have a couple of doubts.
>
> 1) It looks like you cannot specify a target archive name on the arx
> "commit" command line.

In general, "commit" uses whatever "init" used.  However, you can
override that with the --branch option and use a full URI.

> You have to set a archive as a default before committing. Right?

You should never have to set a default.  Setting a default just makes
life easier.

> I just created a FTP remote archive and I tried to commit a existing
> project to this remote archive, using the following commands:
>
> address@hidden Trusted_Computing]$ arx param default-archive
> address@hidden
>
> address@hidden Trusted_Computing]$ arx commit -s "Published Version 2.0
> Beta 1"
>
> And I see that Arx have committed these changes to my _local_ archive
> (address@hidden) instead of the remote one
> (address@hidden).
>
> What I did wrong? Can I explicity tell Arx which archive to use as a
> target when committing?

What does "arx tree-branch" give?

As an aside, are you sure you want to have separately named archives
-remote and -personal?  The section on mirroring

  http://arx.adamantix.org/ArX-2.2.4/docs/ArX.html#htoc22

talks about syncing different machines.

> 2) I would like to use a remote FTP repository as a shared file system
> and work on it together with a couple of collegues.
>
> Arx should be able to tell which programmer has commited any given
> change to the archive from the programmer's ID
> (address@hidden, e.g.), even if all of the programmers
> authenticate with the same identity with the FTP server. Right?

Correct.  ArX will use the output of "arx param id" for each user.

> 3) Where I can find some more info about gnomevfs, put aside
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/gnome-vfs/ ? I greatly appreciated
> the gnomevfs-ls command and I would like to see if there are more.

I do not know of any other docs.  On my system, the full set of
gnomevfs convenience functions is

gnomevfs-cat      gnomevfs-info     gnomevfs-monitor
gnomevfs-copy     gnomevfs-ls       gnomevfs-mv
gnomevfs-df       gnomevfs-mkdir    gnomevfs-rm

Cheers,
Walter Landry
address@hidden