arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Re: Arx on a simple webhost

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Re: Arx on a simple webhost
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:02:29 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
then you can make an archive with the command

  arx make-archive address@hidden ftp://foo.com/myname/archive

You need to tell ArX that you are serving the archive via http

  arx update-listing -a ftp://foo.com/myname/archive

That's step one. Step two is actually putting that remote archive to work. I'll lay out how I think you might structure it, and hopefully Walter can correct anything I get wrong.

Each development computer would have a local archive that is a mirror of that one remote archive. So on each machine, you would have an archive name that would be attached to two locations (local, and ftp). Periodically, you would use the mirror command to push or pull changes between the local and remote archives.

In your case, you probably only need an ftp route to the remote archive, since that can be used for both pushing and pulling.

If it were a public archive, and you wanted to view it as other people would see it, you could set up a third location, using http. That would be read-only.

One more tip: When working with any distributed SCM tool, you really want to create lots of branches and/or lots of working directories. Sadly, I haven't used distributed SCM enough to be able to say more than that.

Kevin