arx-users

[Arx-users] Re: Arx on a simple webhost

From: Walter Landry
Subject: [Arx-users] Re: Arx on a simple webhost
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:32:30 -0700 (PDT)

aurelien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On the project page it is stated that:
>
> "Another important feature of ArX is that an archive can be published
> on any HTTP web server. It does not require any special code running
> on the server, which has some significant advantages: First, it allows
> projects to host their code on almost any inexpensive web site,
> including the free personal home pages offered by many ISPs. Second,
> it keeps the server very secure, because the only service required is
> a standard web server such as Apache or Boa."
>
> I have some webspace on a commercial ISP, with the ability to run Perl
> and PHP (but not Python etc) and FTP access (but no telnet or SSH). I
> would like to have a system such as Arx to help me coordinate software
> development between myself at home, myself on a laptop, and another
> person on a different laptop. Because all these computers are likely
> to be switched on at non-overlapping times, I thought about using the
> webspace I had as a repository-type RCS client. Hence the statement
> above looked incredibly promising (all other RCS/versioning
> systems/CVS/etc offer no simple-webhost options but require complex
> entanglement with Apache, etc).
>
> I then read through the docs but that has left me confused. It is
> entirely unclear how I would go about implementing Arx on my simple
> webhost. Please could someone indicate whether (a) Arx really does
> what that statement above says, (b) if I interpreted it correctly, and
> (c) if so, how I should go about the installation and setup.

It does do that.  If you normally upload files by going to

  ftp://foo.com/myname

then you can make an archive with the command

  arx make-archive address@hidden ftp://foo.com/myname/archive

You need to tell ArX that you are serving the archive via http

  arx update-listing -a ftp://foo.com/myname/archive

One thing to note is that some web hosts are rather restrictive about
what kind of files you can put on an ftp site.  In particular, they
may get picky about files starting with a comma ",", which ArX uses
extensively.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Walter