arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Hosting?

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Hosting?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:35:49 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > My machine, superbeast.ucsd.edu, is not going to be around much
> > longer.  So I need a new place to host my archive.  Unfortunately,
> > savannah is not set up to support it.  So I am not sure what to do.  I
> > could move ArX development over to a different site, like www.gna.org,
> > but I would rather not.  The archive is currently about 120MB.  Does
> > anyone have ideas?
>
> I think the most important step is to register a domain name for the ArX
> project. That way, you can switch hosts whenever necessary without
> affecting all the bookmarks and links out there. Unfortunately the ideal
> names are already in use (arx.org, arx.net). Here are some arxy domains
> I brainstormed that are still available:
>
> arxdev.org
> arx1.org
> arxscm.org
> arxcentral.org
> planetarx.org
> arxarx.org

Hmm.  arx.vc doesn't seem to be taken.  But I don't know how to
register domains in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines ;)

> I would be willing to pay for at least one year of registration for one
> of these names, or for a better alternative. I use registerfly for my
> domains, which has really nice tools for domain (and email) forwarding
> and redirection.

Thanks for the offer.  I will need to think more about what domain to
get.

> For hosting, why is something like gna.org unappealing?

I would have to move the mailing list, web page, bug tracker, etc.,
plus it would break everyone's bookmarks.  I am just looking to
relocate the archive, not all activity.

> I have a server that could probably host the archive, but I expect to be
> reformatting it and switching to a different OS within the next few
> months, so this wouldn't be the ideal time to switch to it. I have
> another hosted account that could work, but I'm trying to phase that one
> out. What is your timeline?

Something in the next few weeks.  I have an offer, so I think I am set
now.

Cheers,
Walter