arx-users

[Arx-users] Other languages?

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] Other languages?
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:32:11 -0400

I have an odd love/hate relationship with C++. It's my third favorite language, and is my favorite non-dynamic (aka non-scripting) language. So one of the things that attracted me to ArX was the fact that it is written in C++.

However, many newer SCM engines and tools are being written in dynamic languages such as python. For all the non-processor-intensive parts, I think this makes a lot of sense, because it gives them a substantial advantage in terms of development speed and maintainability. It also widens the audience of potential code contributors, since many folks are intimidated by C++.

So I'm wondering if the ArX project might want to choose a preferred "higher level" language. Initially this would be for standalone tools built on top of ArX, like GUI tree browsers or perhaps quilt-like "patch refactoring" tools. At some point, it might actually make sense to rewrite the upper layers of ArX in this dynamic language.

Not to start a language war (please, please PLEASE don't start a language war here!), but I would propose ruby as that language. I have my own personal, irrational reasons to dislike python, perl and tcl, as well as any functional language (lisp, scheme, haskell). There are other SCM's in python, so I'm thinking python coders would already be drawn to those. Ruby fans like me have nowhere to go :-(

Questions for Walter in particular, but I'm interested in feedback from other ArX folks too:

1. Are you at all open to any kind of gradual shift toward a dynamic language?

2. Do you have any existing strong feelings about Ruby, positive or negative?

Kevin

P.S. My second favorite language, after Ruby, is Io. Sadly, it lacks a good GUI toolkit, so it's not a good candidate for this role.