arx-users

[Arx-users] Further thoughts on ArX and simplicity

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] Further thoughts on ArX and simplicity
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:34:56 -0400

Greetings all,

For the last couple months, I have been immersed in the git community, and then the mercurial community. In case you're not following those, git is Linus Torvald's super-minimalistic BitKeeper replacement, and mercurial is another new distributed SCM.

I have realized that git really doesn't meet my needs, for a variety of reasons. The main appeal of mercurial for me is that is presents a simpler UI than ArX. Mercurial is still a contender, but I am now feeling drawn back to ArX for a couple reasons.

This email is to explore possibilities for further simplifying ArX.

The single biggest usability flaw in ArX right now has to be the confusion around URL's, archive names, and branches. Plus the fact that you have to specify one or more of those far more often than you do in mercurial.

Walter:

You proposed this new naming policy:

  archive#branch.subbranch,revision

This sounded like a good idea at the time, and I still think it would be a huge improvement. In my mind, it transforms one of the worst features of ArX (confusing naming) into an advantage, because other systems would tend to say something like archive -b branch.subbranch -r revision.

You also talked about assigning a GUID to each archive, as a tool that would allow you to simplify the archive naming and relationships in other ways. It's still not quite clear to me why a lightweight design wouldn't work instead. Something like:

- Archives are identified by a URL
- The user can optionally set up aliases for archives
- "Lightweight branches" should generally be tied to aliases, to allow following the upstream source if it moves

With that, nobody has to worry about (be confused by) GUIDs. Everything is simple and transparent. Archives don't have names, and and I think we could remove the special case of "mirrored" archives. Mirrors would just be a plain copy, at a different location. Users can set up aliases if they wish, or they can use raw URL's.

Whenever possible, the archive should be inferred based on the current working tree you are in. Whenever possible, the branch should default to a reasonable value.

Would you accept patches to move in this direction?

Kevin