arx-users

[Arx-users] Long summary messages

From: Mike Feeney
Subject: [Arx-users] Long summary messages
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:28:06 -0400

Having started using ArX, I'm very pleased with it so far. I still use
subversion for a few projects, but I am eager to switch.

One thing I do a lot with subversion is leave a long log message. I'm
working on a large, complex, messy, badly written project with several
other people, and often times I spend hours trying to fix a tiny little
bug. When I finally do fix it, the fix may be as simple as changing a +
to a -, but the implications can be huge. Generally I want a log message
to inform my fellow developers my exact assessment of the problem, what
I'm changing and why, what the implications of the change are, and what,
if anything, needs to be done next. Some of these log messages can be
over 40 lines.

ArX seems to only allow me one line for a summary. I guess I could type
a really long line, but that isn't exactly friendly. Is there any chance
of adopting the CVS and subversion method of opening my favorite text
editor and summarizing to my heart's content?

subversion in particular handles this well; it starts me out with
something like "--- This line, and the lines below, will be ignored" and
then has a list of all the changed files below, as a reminder of what
I've modified. Very helpful.

I think multiline summaries would be a neat feature. Of course, I would
still want to use -s when one line is all I have to say.

Thanks,
Mike