arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Real-world ArX usage

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Real-world ArX usage
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 08:37:24 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 08:41 -0400, Kevin Smith wrote:

Then, I think we would use the patch queue manager to merge each
developer's changes into a staging mirror of the master archive. I
haven't looked at the PQM yet, but we would want a way to trigger it
without using email.

If you all have access to a shared filesystem, you can drop requests
in a special directory.

That could work. I would probably have a daemon on the server that would monitor activity in each developer's archive and when new patches arrive it would creaate a pull request to trigger the PQM.

In a perfect world, it would monitor each
developer's mirrored archive, and automatically initiate the merge.

Are you sure you want to do that?

I think so. Conceptually, when a developer submits changes to the master server, they are being committed to the master archive. So automatically pulling them into the master whenever they appear seems logical. In a perfect world, the daemon would wait for 5 minutes of inactivity, and then pull all pending changes. That's the approach taken by some CVS/Ant tools like CruiseControl and AntHill.

Do you see problems with this approach?

I'm not sure whether we would prefer to pull these patches
individually, or as a combined group.

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to pull them as a group.  Making a
"merge" command that applies patches one-at-a-time with appropriate
summaries is on the todo list.

Ok.

Thanks,

Kevin