arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Real-world ArX usage

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Real-world ArX usage
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 17:01:16 -0400

Walter Landry wrote:
> Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>Then, I think we would use the patch queue manager to merge each
>>developer's changes into a staging mirror of the master archive. I
>>haven't looked at the PQM yet, but we would want a way to trigger it
>>without using email.
>

> I just had an argument about this.  What is wrong with email?  You
> have to run a server that listens for merge requests.  Email is nice
> in that it is ubiquitous, well understood, rarely firewalled, and easy
> to hook into other programs.  The person I talked to suggested lpd,
> but I don't see any advantages over email.

We don't already have email running on that server. My first thought was
that I wouldn't want to run such a complex daemon just to allow us to
trigger pulls. But I haven't really thought through the alternatives. In
many cases, email would be perfect. But for a very closed server, and a
tight-knit group of developers, email just feels like the wrong tool.

Kevin