arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX nutshell in a wiki

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX nutshell in a wiki
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

Amine Chadly <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello guys !
> I have put up that small page on the berlios wiki.
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=ArX
> I believe anybody can just go and modify that without any need to
> register whatsoever.

Thanks for setting it up!  I made some minor changes.

> If you feel lazy to edit directly, you can just send me (directly or
> through the list) your remarks,
> and I'll gladly make the changes.
>
> Now is the time for the questions that bug my mind since I have been
> reading the ArX
>   documentation closer. (Nothing comes for free ;-)

Which version of the manual are you using?  It looks like an older
version.  The syntax has changed, making things a bit simpler.

<snip>
> Subsidiary question: Is there a shortcut for --in-place (does -i works
> like -d works for --dir?)

This, in particular, has changed.  The --in-place option to merge and
replay have been removed.  Instead, if there is an optional argument
on the end, the result of the merge goes there.  I am planning to
remove the --in-place option to fork, so there should be no commands
left with the --in-place option.

> I am planning to sort out and write the differences between the fork
> and mirror commands. (still blur for me).
> And in which cases it's better to use one instead of the other.

Fork is to create your own branch.  Mirror just makes a copy of an
archive.  You can use it to have a local copy so you don't have to
talk to the network so much, or to push things from a private to
public space.

> Oh and the merge command is obviously very rich, but I don't comprehend
> it's full capacities yet.
> Help is off course welcomed (you can even say hoped for ;-) !

Cheers,
Walter