arx-users

[Arx-users] Proposal

From: amine . chadly
Subject: [Arx-users] Proposal
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:42:39 +0200

Regarding the win32 port, the gui and eclipse plugin. There might be a way
to catch all the birds with one stone :
I will give it a look in the coming days, but would welcome any help ;-).

I would be happy to provide guidance, answer questions, and test the results. Sorry I can't commit to more than that right now.

All right boys, I have found a library called cryptlib
(http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/cryptlib/)
and something called crypto++ that seems to be a c++ wrap-up
(http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/cryptlib.html)

Seems to me they hold everything we need to create a ssh ftp connexions
without the gnome-vfs thingie.
I didn't have the time to dive into them to be sure of this, what do you
guys think about them ?

I agree that a simple eclipse plugin shouldn't be too hard. The real challenge will be supporting refactoring! Perhaps the svn eclipse plugin folks have already started working on that?

I don't believe the subclipse folks integrated with the refactoring...
but I hope to investigate that soon.
A eclipse plugin would represent a fair amount of work though...
By the way java classes for ssh connections are provided by :
http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/

I have never liked Qt much, but now that they have released a Windows version under the GPL, I wouldn't object to its use. For most GUI apps, I would rather write them in Ruby than C++. Python would be another good choice. However, I definitely would not discourage the creation of a good tool in C++ if that's your language of choice.

I have never programed in ruby, how do you feel about it ?
But I don't mind starting coding the gui with it.
Which gui toolkit would you use with ruby ?
I was thinking about c++ because it would help for the integration
with browsers (a little bit like tortoise works for cvs if I remember
correctly).

I would love to see it. Perhaps we could at least link to it from the ArX home page, or even host it there.
A wiki would be great to make it easy for all of us to contribute.

For now it's just a few questions (10 lines long maybe :-), and the
wiki is definitely what I was thinking about.
I talked about it with Walter, and he seemed to be ok with it.

What about creating a GuiArX project on
http://www.berlios.de/developers.php.en
Because they have everything savanah offers + wiki, shell accounts etc.

Let me know what you think about this.
-ac