arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] ArX server requirements
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:46:48 -0500 (EST)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 23:15 -0500, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Pure http does not have a means of listing directories.  There is a
> > workaround in ArX in that you can generate .listing files and ArX will
> > know to look for them.  That is not that robust, though.
>
> Oh. So two questions:
>
> Can I serve a readonly ArX archive from a $2/mo web host that only gives
> me ftp access?

Yes, although it is not as easy as it might be.  You have to manually
update the .listing file each time you commit.  Making that easier is
on my todo list, about halfway through the list of "Things that will
happen".

> Can I serve a readonly ArX archive from *any* web server software (e.g.
> boa, thttpd, jetty), or is it tuned to only work with certain servers
> like apache?

If you can configure the webserver to handle webdav, it will be more
robust.  But if you are willing to update .listing files, then _any_
webserver will do.

Walter