arx-users

[Arx-users] ArX marketing: the tag line

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: [Arx-users] ArX marketing: the tag line
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:53:59 -0500

ArX needs a great tag line to quickly convey what it is and why people should care. Ideally when people link to the ArX site, they would include the tag line next to the link. Here is the current tag line, as it appears at the top of the savannah ArX page:

---
ArX is a flexible, high performance, distributed revision control system featuring whole-tree atomic changesets, easy branching, and sophisticated merging. ArX has always been self hosting.
---

It's a good start, but I would like something shorter, and something that speaks to the ease of learning/use benefits. Perhaps something more like:

---
ArX is a distributed revision control system that is mature, powerful, easy to use, and portable.
---

I think this hits the main reasons that people might prefer ArX over whatever other system(s) they already know about, and the main concerns people might have about what it may lack.

Thoughts?

Kevin

P.S. I still have mixed feelings about the name ArX. At a minimum, I would love to officially change it to "arx". ThE OdD CapItALiZaTiON is a nice nod to TeX, but it's more of an inside joke for mathemeticians and unix graybeards than anything else. ArX is awkward to type.

Even with that, there are still the twin problems of pronounciation and confusion with "arch". Most people (like me) will pronounce it "arks", regardless of what the web site says. The few who pronounce it "arc" may get confused with arch.

"ArX" does have some nice qualities (short, unique, hints at ties to arch). But I feel compelled to ask whether you would even consider thinking about a name change. If so, now would be the time (before the new web site and major marketing push).