arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:37:35 -0500 (EST)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>Hm. If the first argument to tag was the tag name, and it defaulted to
> >>the current branch, then the aka syntax above looks like it would work
> >>for tag (and it does make sense as a "tag"), avoiding the need for yet
> >>another command name:
> >>
> >>   arx tag tag-name [branch1 [branch2 [...]]]
> >

> > That would be a good default, but I still want to change the name.  If
> > I keep the name, people will assume that "tag" is the same thing as in
> > CVS.
>
> Then I think you need to keep the 'tag' command, and keep it simple.
> Tagging is a very common operation. so everyone will expect it to be there.
>
> It still seems to me that the aka command you are proposing is "merely"
> a superset of tag. It's like a multi-tag...a tag that doesn't just
> identify a snapshot of one project, but (optionally) of many. But with
> all of that, it still seems like tag to me, so I don't see the problem
> adding that functionality to the tag command.

Hmm.  "tag" it is.  You won't be able to make a branch from it.  To
get CVS's -b behavior, you can run "arx fork" and then "arx commit".
To get the -b behavior after the fact, you can run "arx get", "arx
fork --in-place", and "arx commit".  That will have to be documented.

Now I just have to implement it ;)

Walter