arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:10:13 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

How about this in the help string
(snipped)

Looks fine to me. It definitely would have answered my questions.

Hm. If the first argument to tag was the tag name, and it defaulted to the current branch, then the aka syntax above looks like it would work for tag (and it does make sense as a "tag"), avoiding the need for yet another command name:

  arx tag tag-name [branch1 [branch2 [...]]]

That would be a good default, but I still want to change the name.  If
I keep the name, people will assume that "tag" is the same thing as in
CVS.

Then I think you need to keep the 'tag' command, and keep it simple. Tagging is a very common operation. so everyone will expect it to be there.

It still seems to me that the aka command you are proposing is "merely" a superset of tag. It's like a multi-tag...a tag that doesn't just identify a snapshot of one project, but (optionally) of many. But with all of that, it still seems like tag to me, so I don't see the problem adding that functionality to the tag command.

Perhaps I don't understand all of what aka would do.

Cheers,

Kevin