arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] How does tag work?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:13:26 -0500

Walter Landry wrote:
Are you sure you ran commit?  I get the exact same errors if I try
these things and I have not commited waldron-initial.

Well, I thought I had. But I just tried a commit and got:

address@hidden waldron $ arx commit -s "After initial week"
Problems with a filesystem call
boost::filesystem::rename
,,commit.20041127T185853/++cache/,,removed-by-dopatch-2004-11-27T18:58:54/,,added-119
,,commit.20041127T185853/++cache/_arx

So I figured I would start over...

address@hidden waldron $ rm -R _arx
address@hidden waldron $ arx init-tree waldron.initial
address@hidden waldron $ dir
,,manifest.20041127T185854 docs/ lib/ simlinux/ address@hidden waldron $ rm ,,manifest.20041127T185854
address@hidden waldron $ arx commit -s "After initial week"
There is an inventory id for this path, but the path itself does not exist.
        ,,manifest.20041127T185854

Doh! Apparently I'm not allowed to delete that silly ,, file that I never wanted in the first place. I tried the whole thing again, but left the ,, file this time, and it all seemed to work. Except that the "tag" it created looks nothing like a CVS tag. At a minimum, I would suggest that you document some "best practices" for how to name tags. Here's ugly archive I ended up with (before using delete-branch to clean things up somewhat):

address@hidden waldron $ arx browse
address@hidden
  light-hand
    0 .. 6
  webapp
    0 .. 1
  prototype
    0 .. 2
  end-of-week-1
  v0
    0
      1
  waldron-initial
    0 .. 0
  waldron
    initial
      0 .. 0
  after-first-week
    0 .. 0
  waldron-v0
    0
      0
        0 .. 0

I tried to create a tag named "v0.0.1" and one named "waldron-v0.0.0", not to mention "after-first-week", none of which appear related to the waldron.initial (or waldron-initial) trees.

In any case, I have improved the error messages.

Cool. Thanks.

Kevin