arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] How to get a brief summary of project history?

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] How to get a brief summary of project history?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:37:30 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >>I have now done a few commits in my little sample tree, and now would
> >>like to see a quick summary of them. The closest I can find is:
> >>   arx changelog --no-files
>
> > I think
> >
> >   arx patch-log --header Summary
> >
> > is what you want.
>
> Hm. Yeah, that's close. Date and author would be nice, but the
> minimalism of the above command also has some appeal.
>
> > Since that is a common action, it should probably
> > be shortened to something a little more manageable.  Maybe -s could be
> > a shortcut, much like commit -s fills in the Summary header.
>
> Conceptually, what is the difference between changelog and patch-log?
> They seem to have a lot of overlap. Would you add the -s option to
> changelog, to patch-log, or to both?

patch-log is mostly a direct dump of the contents of the patch-logs.
A changelog is a well formatted version of the patch-logs, modeled
after GNU style changelogs.  So changelogs don't have many knobs to
fiddle, since they should already have the information.

This suggests that it might be better to have a single command with an
option to make well-formatted output.

> Perhaps patch-log could default to --header Summary if no --header is
> provided. The default output from patch-log with no arguments doesn't
> look very useful, at least on my tiny tree.

I would still want a way to just list the numbers (--no-header?).  I
could see that being useful for scripting.

Walter