arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] init-tree failure in arx2

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] init-tree failure in arx2
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:27:15 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>It created a ,,log file, and an empty _arx directory. Again, it would be
> >>nice if such things weren't left behind if the operation is aborted.
> >
> > Actually, after init-tree runs, that is exactly what is supposed to be
> > left behind.  init-tree creates the _arx control directory and the log
> > file.
>
> Oh. Re-reading the arx2 tutorial, I see that this is true. (in arx1 it
> would have created a ++ file, apparently) Having been burned earlier by
> orphaned ,, files, I just assumed this was another problem. It will take
> me a while to get used to arx adding this clutter.
>
>  From a process flow standpoint, I am not used to rcs's wanting me to
> create my log entry before I do the work. I am used to it being part of
> the commit command. Which it normally can be in arx, but not for init-tree.
>
> I also have an irritant that gedit always creates a backup file (ending
> with ~) which I then have to manually delete.
>
> Is there a option to prevent arx from creating log files, and just
> always require me to use -s when I commit?

Not yet, but you're starting to convince me that ArX shouldn't be
making any log files.

> >>$ arx history
> >>Problems with a filesystem call
> >>boost::filesystem::directory_iterator constructor
> >>/home/kevins/www/light-hand/_arx/patch-log
> >
> > This is a bug.  There is no history, so it shouldn't print out
> > anything.  Once you commit, then "history" should work fine.
>
> Indeed it does. Even a commit before adding any files works, although
> the resulting history is a bit dull and slightly confusing to a newbie:
>
> $ arx history
> address@hidden/light-hand
> $

The history command just tells you what branches went into making up a
tree.

> Oh. I now see that init-tree automatically adds all my files. I didn't
> expect that. And I hadn't had a chance to set up my ignore flags to omit
> ~ backup files. The behavior isn't "wrong", but as a newbie, it is yet
> another surprise. Perhaps the init-tree command could print a summary of
> what it did, to give me a chance to fix it before I commit?

"inventory" will tell you what files have been added.  The assumption
is that when you import the only thing you have in a tree is what you
want in the archive.  If that isn't the case, you can specify --no-add
and add things manually.

> My background, by the way, is mostly CVS, but I also played with
> monotone for a few days, and used darcs for several months. I also
> suffered through VSS for years, PVCS for months, and used a couple
> ancient rcs systems on MS-DOS way back when.
>
> I hope this usability feedback is helpful. I'm still optimistic about
> ArX becoming my primary rcs tool, so I'm not trying to bash it or
> anything. As a developer, I always want to know what users (and
> especially new users) really think.

The feedback is certainly helpful.  I don't use init-tree very much,
plus I use the emacs mode for most work, so it is easy for me to miss
some obvious problems.

Walter