arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] init-tree failure in arx2

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] init-tree failure in arx2
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:37:23 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> ArX 2.0.0 (developer-only release), gentoo.
>
> init-tree seems completely broken.
>
> My $EDITOR is nano, and the behavior was the same even after I set
> my-editor in arx. When I say arx init-tree name, nano comes up, but then
> a console prompt appears on line 3 of my screen. The screen properties
> are hosed (no echo, bad newlines), but I am definitely back out in bash.

That is because ArX is calling the editor as a separate process.  I am
becoming more convinced that ArX should not be calling any editor,
especially because of problems like this.  In that case, the usual
course of action would be to use the -s option during commit.  Then if
you wanted a more complicated log file, you would just write it
yourself from a template.

> It created a ,,log file, and an empty _arx directory. Again, it would be
> nice if such things weren't left behind if the operation is aborted.

Actually, after init-tree runs, that is exactly what is supposed to be
left behind.  init-tree creates the _arx control directory and the log
file.

> I just tried with my-editor as gedit, and it doesn't seem to wait for
> the editor to exit before continuing. So I'm back at a console prompt
> even before gedit comes up. After I exit gedit, my console is fine, and
> things are different, but still wrong:
>
> $ arx init-tree light-hand
> $ dir ,,*
> ,,address@hidden
> $ dir _arx
> ++changes  ++default-branch  ++import

This is all correct.

> $ arx history
> Problems with a filesystem call
> boost::filesystem::directory_iterator constructor
> /home/kevins/www/light-hand/_arx/patch-log

This is a bug.  There is no history, so it shouldn't print out
anything.  Once you commit, then "history" should work fine.

Walter