arx-users

Re: [Arx-users] Error trying to pull ArX 2.0

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: [Arx-users] Error trying to pull ArX 2.0
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:20:50 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
> > Any idea how long it may take to pull ArX 2.0? Based on progress I've
> > seen so far, it seems like it will take hours. I'm on a fast cable modem
> > connection, using an Athlon 2600 (3700 bogomips).
>
> To answer my own question, it just finished. There was no visual
> progress feedback at all.

That is by design.  If you want feedback, you need to use --report.
Unless output is the point of the command, ArX generally doesn't print
anything unless there are errors.  Silence is golden.

> I think piping error output to /dev/null sped it up a ton. It only
> took about 30 seconds cpu time, and 5 minutes real time.
>
> > Also, is it really right for "get" to start putting ,, files directly in
> > the current directory? I actually expected it to create an arx
> > subdirectory first (as cvs does), and I expected it to contain the ArX
> > source code top-level directory (README, COPYING, etc).
>
> Upon successful completion, I ended up with exactly what I expected. An
> arx subdir containing the arx project. I guess it's only if you abort
> the process early that you end up with junk in the current directory.
> That does seem like a bug to me.

That is also by design.  If a get is only partially successful, you
won't accidently think that it completed.

Walter