arx-users

[Arx-users] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and t

From: Colin Walters
Subject: [Arx-users] Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:15:03 -0500

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 18:14, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > o The Arch Protocol
>
> I don't want to offend anyone, but have you looked at Subversion?

No offense taken, it's always good to look at existing work that may be
related.

> It seems to offer a lot of the necessary functionality in this area.

As much as both arch and Subversion describe themselves as revision
control systems, they're really quite different.  Yes, Subversion has a
server.  But as for "a lot of the necessary functionality" - it doesn't
seem to me that trying to reuse a lot of their code would actually save
that much time.

I mean, Subversion's all about their transactional filesystem, and
that's just not how arch thinks at all.  You couldn't just commit arch
changesets on top of Subversion's fs - to pick one random issue, it
doesn't support symlinks (which I think is pretty ironic for something
that claims to be a filesystem).