apps-gnustep

Re: Frotz (Z Machine emulator)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Frotz (Z Machine emulator)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 23:53:50 +0100

On 25 Mar 2017, at 20:19, HappyMacXL <address@hidden> wrote:

I installed GNUstep on top of Raspbian Lite (CLI), I then installed Frotz
which is the emulator for Infocoms Z Machine.  Within the GUI itself if you
open a terminal and type 'frotz zork.z3' then it simply returns "command
cannot be found".

Oddly if I just install Raspbian Lite on its own and then Frotz it will
work, but install GNUstep on top and then run the same command from terminal
again (within the GUI) and again you get the "command cannot be found".

Can anyone offer pointers on where i'm going wrong please?  I am slowly
looking to build a 'retro' emulator system within GNUstep.

The difference is probably in the environment.

Assuming you’re using bash;

bash distinguishes interactive/non-interactive and login/non-login shells.
(and dynamically, starting or exiting).

    WHEN starting
     AND ( interactive AND login ) OR ( non-interactive AND --login ) )
      DO /etc/profile
         THEN    ~/.bash_profile
         OR ELSE ~/.bash_login
         OR ELSE ~/.profile

    WHEN starting
     AND interactive AND NOT login
      DO ~/.bashrc

    WHEN starting
     AND NOT interactive
      DO $BASH_ENV

    WHEN exiting
     AND login
      DO ~/.bash_logout

Terminal emulators will often start the shell in non-login mode (ie. the second case above).
Therefore they won’t load '.bash_profile' or '.profile', but '.bashrc'.

You will have to move setting of the PATH from .bash_profile (or .profile), to .bashrc

Some terminal emulators give you the option of starting the shell in login mode (--login or letting you give the command with any option you want).  But in general, it’s better to leave those shells as non-login shells, to avoid confusion and being noted as multiply logged-in the  system (cf. who -l).

--
__Pascal J. Bourguignon__