apps-gnustep

Re: [ANN] Customizing GWorkspace and other apps

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: [ANN] Customizing GWorkspace and other apps
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 04:46:23 -0700 (PDT)

Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Rubens_Septimus wrote:

>>> Thanks, Fred. I will try the nsmapping.strings. It seems cleaner than my
>>> first attempt.
>>> For the other suggestion, I will wait a little to learn more about
>>> Objective-C and so on...
>>>
>>> Patrick
>>>
>> Well, searching nsmappings.strings on Ubuntu only reports
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/GNUstep/nsmapping.strings, but that file don't deal
>> with
>> dir or app icons...
>> There is a /usr/lib/GNUstep/Images (apparently path with System are
>> deprecated) but no nsmapping.strings inside. So the only way seems to
>> make a
>> backup of the old icons and copying in the shared folders the new icons.
>> Did'nt find how to use mapping files.
>>

> No idea what version of GNUstep you have installed and how you installed
> it.
>  Anyway there should be a nsmapping.strings file in the directory
> where your images are stored. And this file should have a similar
> structure to this:
>
> NSSwitch = common_SwitchOff;
> NSHighlightedSwitch = common_SwitchOn;
> NSRadioButton = common_RadioOff;
>

> This is the mapping from a logical image name to a physical. This
> mechanism was intended to provide a mapping from Next image names to
> GNUstep image files, but it could be misused for theming as well, by
> redefining one physical name into another. This wont allow you to just
> change the path to the image directory (this can only be done via
> changes to NSBundle), but enables you the redefine the used images on a
> one by one basis.

Well, my GNUstep is now a regular installation from Ubuntu Hardy.
I seems /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf now replaces the source mechanism
previously used from Makefiles/GNUstep.sh.
In that conf file they say :
"# These GNUSTEP_*_ROOT variables are obsolete, and will be removed.
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/usr/System
GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/Local
GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/Network"

Well about nsmapping.strings, there is only one and it is where I said and
it complies with your description. Maybe I misunderstood it's usage : I
thought it could handle things like common icon files path like Home_Folder.
But, if I understand well your explanation, only the icons for theming the
appearance  in the UI. So you tell me about NSBundle. Where can I find more
about it ? (I'm a very newbie !)

Thanks for your attention.
Patrick