apps-gnustep

Re: [ANN] Customizing GWorkspace and other apps

From: Rubens_Septimus
Subject: Re: [ANN] Customizing GWorkspace and other apps
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:28:25 -0700 (PDT)

Rubens_Septimus wrote:

> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>>
>> Rubens_Septimus wrote:
>>> Hello !
>>>
>>> I try to understand customizing with GNUstep :
>>>
>>> 1°) Icons : is a clean way to customize icons in GWorkspace ? I tried to
>>> do
>>> so on a draft system (virtual box) before installing GNUstep on my real
>>> computer. But it was dirty, because copying file icons in the system
>>> domain
>>> results in many disadvantages :
>>> 1) Other people can't chose their icons or can't revert to the classic
>>> ones
>>> ;
>>> 2) When upgrading, the customized icons will be lost.
>>>
>>> So I thought the User domain was the good way, but putting icons files
>>> in
>>> ~/GNUstep/Icons/ gives no result. Any idea how to achieve this ?
>>>
>> There is one other way to customize icons, that is by using a mapping to
>> a different file name in the nsmapping.strings file. You find that file
>> in the GNUstep/System/Library/Images directory.
>>
>>> Are the 48x48 size and the tiff format the only ones supported ?
>>>
>> You may use different sizes or formats.
>>
>>> 3°) How I can get windows bar to look different, for example, with
>>> pretty
>>> color buttons like on Mac OS X ? Is a way to do this from "defaults"
>>> directive ?
>>
>> You will need to program that yourself, but it shouldn#T be to hard, if
>> you know what you want.
>>
> Thanks, Fred. I will try the nsmapping.strings. It seems cleaner than my
> first attempt.
> For the other suggestion, I will wait a little to learn more about
> Objective-C and so on...
>
> Patrick

Well, searching nsmappings.strings on Ubuntu only reports
/usr/share/pixmaps/GNUstep/nsmapping.strings, but that file don't deal with
dir or app icons...
There is a /usr/lib/GNUstep/Images (apparently path with System are
deprecated) but no nsmapping.strings inside. So the only way seems to make a
backup of the old icons and copying in the shared folders the new icons.
Did'nt find how to use mapping files.