apps-gnustep

Re: nib2gmodel on linux

From: Luke Kendall
Subject: Re: nib2gmodel on linux
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 01:37:49 +1000 (EST)

On 19 Oct, Adam Fedor wrote:
>  >> nib2gmodel does not compile on linux. It is supposed to be compiled
>  >> on Mac
>  >> OS X or NeXT in order to translate Apple/NeXT nib files into GNUstep
>  >> gmodel
>  >> files.
>  > Clear statement!
>  >
>  > I've spend a lot of time developing NeXT applications 12 years ago.
>  > How can I convert those NIB-files on linux using GNUstep?
>  > Or should I by an Apple;-)
>
>  An Apple (nor Linux) won't help you convert NeXT nib files.  You might
>  ask on address@hidden if anyone has a machine that could
>  convert the nibs for you.

I just did a Google search: convert "NIB file" nextstep GNUstep

First result mentioned:
"lf195, Software Development: GNUstep, the open source OpenStep
A tool called nib2gmodel allows to convert a nib file (produced with Interface
.... GNUstep offers you the same for free (under NeXTStep or OpenStep"

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/March2001/article195.shtml

See the section under "Utilities".  It sounds promising:

    The tools we'll mention here are designed to port apps from
    OpenStep to GNUstep. But, as a matter of fact, they go much
    further since they will allow you to port Mac OS X apps
    as well. That's the important point : more on this later !
    First, there's a tool called OpenStep2GNUConverter, allowing
    you to convert a PBProject (Project Builder) to a GNUstep
    Makefile. That is, you'll be able to compile an OpenStep project
    on your Linux box (for instance) .  To compile this project,
    you'll need another tool called nfmake.  A tool called nib2gmodel
    allows to convert a nib file (produced with Interface Builder)
    to its equivalent under GNUstep, named gmodel.

Do the tools mentioned still exist?

luke