apps-gnustep

Re: changing colors of menus to match wmaker

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: changing colors of menus to match wmaker
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:56:15 -0800

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:58:51 -0800 (PST)
Chris Conn <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi I'm a GNUstep newbie, have been running WindowMaker
> for a long time though (and love it).
> I've just installed GWorkspace and Affiche on my Slackware
> Linux box, have them running and I'm wondering if there is
> a way to change the pull-down menus to match the menu colors
> I'm using in WindowMaker, haven't seen anything in the docs
> or on the web about this. Thanks for any advice,

Yes and no. First, you have to understand that Window Maker is not
related to GNUstep. It's a separate application, that happens to support
GNUstep (more or less) and kinda looks similar.

That said, yes, you can change the colours of various "widgets". To do
that, you need to change the default values for the colours. Menus use
two keys (as far as I know) for coloration: selectedMenuItemColor and
controlBackgroundColor.

To change those, type on your shell:

Note 1:
controlBackgroundColor isn't exclusive to menus, this will change the
colour of all control "widgets", like buttons.

Note 2:
calculate the correct value using a = <RGB value> / 255.
For example Window Makers default background has an RGB of #505075
(that's HEX). The values would be
  a = (80/255) = 0.313
  b = (80/255) = 0.313 and
  c = (117/255) = 0.458