ant-phone-devel

Re: [Ant-phone-devel] latency

From: Matthias Thomae
Subject: Re: [Ant-phone-devel] latency
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:21:03 +0100

Hi Roland,

Roland Stigge wrote:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 13:19, Matthias Thomae wrote:

At first, I couldn't get the debian package working, getting a segmentation fault just after reading /var/lib/isdn/calls. Moving that file away helped.

It would be interesting to reproduce this. Please provide a part of your
file which reproduces this. (Maybe privately.)

I will do this in a minute.

Does this occur with new
generated data in this file?

I am not exactly sure what you mean: Newly generated data while ant-phone is up? What I did was while ant-phone was DOWN, remove the old calls file, place a call, and start ant-phone. It crashed again, with the new calls file that now contained only one line (that's the file I will provide to you privately).

Before I start doing more tests, I'd like to know if there are ideas around to the cause (and solutions) of these delays. I could think of:

- the relatively slow cpu
- the bluetooth connection, however pings are in the range of 50 ms
- the sound driver
- the soundcard itself

Mainly the latter two, I guess. Some drivers don't support short enough
"fragment sizes" in the OSS input/output buffers, at least some users
reported similar problems with special configurations. And ANT is still
not really real time capable. Now that my exams are done, I should have
more time to dive into this.

Do you observe similar problems with another machine (preferable
"classic" desktop hardware) with another sound device model?

I just did a test on an Athlon-1800+ with Asus A7V8X board and the on-board sound card snd-via82xx. Otherwise the setup was the same, i4l via bluetooth. Unfortunately the delay is still *very* noticable, I would estimate around half a second. :(

BTW, how I tested this was by calling myself via ISDN or mobile phone, saying something into ant-phone and listening to the classic phone, so it should be something like a "round-trip delay".

Do you (or anyone else) have a working low-delay setup of ant-phone? If yes, what is the configuration? Is it possible to configure (or patch) the sound driver for smaller "fragment sizes"?

Maybe I can do some test with my old wired ISDN card sometime in order to rule out bluetooth, but it might be weeks or even months before I get to do this...

Thanks for the report.

You're welcome. Thanks for developing ant-phone :)

Regards.
Matthias