ampu-dev

[Ampu-dev] My idea of Direct Democracy

From: steve
Subject: [Ampu-dev] My idea of Direct Democracy
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:59:13 -0500

I agreed with the writings i saw on kuro5shin.org.  Representative Democracy
is inefficient, and  a throwback to when people could not be trusted to be
educated enough to make their own decisions.  To continue with a system out
of the sake of tradition is ridiculous.  It is time to move on to better
things.  I think that better thing is Direct Democracy.
Please forgive me for being US-centric but that is where i live and my
examples are for the US system.

I also agreed with the statement that Direct Democracy will allow for bad
decisions.  That is both a positive and a negative.  The positive being that
people can learn from their mistakes.  As we have it now- two or more parties
blame each other for mistakes.  It is a never-ending cycle.  Nothing is ever
gained or learned.  If a voter under Direct Democracy makes a bad decision,
they cant hide from it, but instead can learn from it.
The negative of bad decisions is that is possible to infringe on Civil Rights
of individuals in such a system.  Which is why i believe in the following
implementation of Direct Democracy.

I feel that Direct Democracy ought to Inside-Out the current system.  Instead
of whole-sale changes, it could be done inside our current system.  The
benefit of this is that we could get the benefits of the new system AND still
be afforded the protection of civil rights laws that exist now.
Again i feel this ought to be done in small centralized pockets, the ideal
place would be a county or city council.  What would happen is the following.

A Direct Democratic candidate would run for local office, if elected this
representative would NOT vote his/her conscience.  Instead we would re-write
the definition of what a politician is.  It would be their job to disseminate
information to the public.  (in the beginning) Registered Direct Democratic
party members would retrieve this information online,  be able to research
the topics, as well as add ideas and agendas, and to ultimately vote on
issues.  Whatever the representatives constituents decide is how that person
votes.  Libraries and other public institutions, could provide voting
stations for those people without computers.  Or, the party could purchase
voting stations.  So in this example, if the council had 7 members and at
least 4 of them were Direct Democratic party members, then in essence, the
citizens themselves would be making their own decisions.  The benefit of
doing it this way, is that it is feasible, requires no changing of laws
(outside-in'ing the system), and we are still afforded the protections of
larger govt civil rights laws (so counties in Mississipi dont vote back in
slavery! - no offense to those living in Mississipi!!!).
well i would like to write more, and will do so later, back to work

steve