akfquiz-users

[AKFQuiz-users] DOWNLOAD PROBLEMS

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: [AKFQuiz-users] DOWNLOAD PROBLEMS
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:57:53 +0200

Hello,

sometimes I get support-requests via e-mail, and I can't answer, because
an invalid address is given in that mails.

So, what can I do?
At least I want to forward my answer to the mailing list, so that it can
be found in the archive...

----- Forwarded message from "Andreas K. Foerster" -----

Am Mittwoch, dem 27. Sep 2006 schrieb Behave Consulting:

> I TRIED TO DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAMM
> a.. akfquiz-4.3.1.main.tar.gz (sig)

You have downloaded the main-package. This contains the source-code,
documentation and data-files. But it doesn't contain executable binaries
of the programs. Executable binaries are stored in separate packages
for different operating-systems. Some of these packages need the files
from the main-package, and in some everything is included.

> AND OPEN IT WITH WINZIP BUT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO SO;  ZERO ENTRIES
> WHAT CAN I DO OR HAVE YOU OTHER SOLUTION TO DOWNLOAD THE PROGRAMM.

Winzip is, as far as I know, a program for the operating-system Windows.
So what you probably want is to get the binary-package for Windows.

http://akfoerster.de/download/akfquiz/akfquiz-w32.exe

This package contains everything you need to run the programs including
the documentation. So the main-package is not needed to use AKFQuiz for
Windows.

Please note however, that not all parts of AKFQuiz are supported under
Windows. The programs are mainly developed for the GNU+Linux system.

If you want to open the main-package to get the source-code, you need
programs, which support the "tar" and "gzip" formats. Under Windows you
can use the program "7-zip". - But you don't need it, if you just want
to use the programs. You can get 7-zip from <http://www.7-zip.org/>.

Hope that helps.

--
AKFoerster